Dust Storm Safety: Pull Aside, Stay Alive
Driving through dangerous dust storms is always a risk when driving on Arizona highways.
These sudden and blinding storms can cause serious motor vehicle accidents within a matter of seconds.
Every year there are numerous dust-storm-related crashes, especially along the dusty I-10 corridor that commuters use to get from Tucson to Phoenix.
According to the Arizona Department of Transportation’s Pull Aside, Stay Alive campaign, here is how to stay safe if you are caught in a dust storm:
- Check traffic around you and slow your vehicle.
- Pull off of the roadway as soon as possible. Do not stop in the emergency lane–pull off of the paved roadway.
- TURN OFF ALL VEHICLE LIGHTS, INCLUDING YOUR EMERGENCY LIGHTS.
- Set your emergency brake, and take your foot off of the brake once you are completely stopped.
- Stay in your vehicle with your seatbelt buckled until the storm passes.
Prevent being in a dust storm accident in Arizona. To find out about current road conditions or to receive high impact traffic alerts visit az511.gov, or call 511 within Arizona.