Tucson Car Accident Attorneys
The Tucson car accident attorneys at Hollingsworth Kelly Law Firm know that thousands of people are seriously injured or killed in car accidents every year, including many in the local metropolitan area. Invariably, catastrophic auto accidents are life-changing events for victims and their families. Finding an experienced car accident attorney can make a difference for victims who’ve suffered a traumatic injury.
At Hollingsworth Kelly, we understand the physical pain and emotional suffering most people experience if they’ve been injured in a car accident. After a crash, many victims find themselves struggling and frustrated, unsure of what to do with totaled vehicles and how to pay escalating medical bills. They often have no idea who will pay or what to do.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Arizona, contact us for a free consultation by calling (520) 882-8080 or complete our online contact form so we can help guide you through what can be a complicated and unfamiliar process and ensure your rights are protected.
We are here to help you when you need a trusted legal advocate to fight for your legal rights and best interests.
Car Accidents Cause Serious Personal Injury
Catastrophic auto accidents can cause serious harm such as spinal cord damage, paralysis, brain injury, orthopedic trauma and even death.
When you’re traveling in a vehicle, both the vehicle and your body are moving forward at high speeds. In the normal course of driving, slowing a car down gradually by applying the brakes allows your body to adjust to the decrease in speed simultaneously. However, when vehicles collide, they stop suddenly. When the vehicle stops your body is still traveling at the same rate it was going immediately before the crash. Depending on how fast a vehicle is traveling at the time of a crash will determine the extent of a passenger’s internal injuries—the faster the speed, the more likely a passenger will suffer serious internal harm or other injuries.
What if I’ve Been Injured in an Accident?
It’s not uncommon for victims of serious car accidents to feel overwhelmed, physically and emotionally, in the aftermath of an accident. One minute their bodies and brains were fine and a split second later they’re injured, dazed and in pain, with no means of transportation because they have a wrecked vehicle.
Victims of auto accidents should seek medical attention as soon as possible after a crash. Going to a hospital emergency department or an urgent care clinic, and then following-up with a primary care physician ensures an accident victim receives timely medical care and, if needed, referrals to specialists such as physical therapists, orthopedic surgeons and other medical providers. Receiving appropriate medical care after a collision ensures injuries are identified and treated as early as possible.
Is It Worth Getting an Attorney for a Car Accident?
It can be challenging to know when to get an attorney for a car accident. Below are answers to some common questions about when to hire an attorney after a car accident.
When Should I Hire a Car Accident lawyer?
We believe you can always benefit from discussing your case with one of our Tucson auto accident lawyers. However, there are some instances in which it is strongly advisable you hire a car accident attorney in Tucson, AZ. Some situations that warrant hiring a car accident attorney Tucson include:
- When you sustain serious or catastrophic injuries;
- In the event you are diagnosed with a permanent disability or impairment;
- When fault or liability for the accident is disputed;
- If the insurance company says you were partially to blame for the cause of the car crash;
- Accidents involving commercial vehicles, government entities, or multiple vehicles;
- When an insurance company is acting in bad faith;
- Accidents involving injuries to children; and,
- Accidents involving wrongful death claims.
If you are worried about car accident lawyer fees, you do not need to worry about that when you hire Hollingsworth Kelly as your Tucson auto accident lawyers.
Our personal injury law firm accepts car accident cases on a contingency fee basis. You do not owe us any attorneys’ fees until and unless we recover compensation for your injury claim.
Contact our office today for a free consultation with one of our car accident attorneys in Tucson, AZ. Call (520) 882-8080 now to speak with a friendly, knowledgeable member of our legal team.
When Should I See a Doctor After a Car Accident?
It is always a good idea to see a doctor immediately after a car accident. Seeing a doctor right after the crash for a full examination can reveal injuries you might not be aware of at the time of the car accident. It also serves to document your injuries for a personal injury claim. Delays in medical care give an insurance company a reason to deny or undervalue your car accident claim.
The insurance company might use the delay in medical care to argue your injuries cannot be as severe as you claim, or you would have seen a doctor immediately. The insurance company might also claim your delay in seeking medical care means you did not sustain injuries in the crash. For these reasons, seek medical attention as soon as possible following a car accident, regardless of severity.
What Should I Do After a Tucson Car Accident?
There are many things you need to do after a traffic accident. Our Tucson car accident attorneys provide skilled, compassionate guidance through each phase of the car accident claims process.
Because each car crash is different, you may or may not be able to take each of the following steps immediately after the collision. However, taking as many of these car accident steps as possible can help protect your health and your legal rights.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
- Remain calm and call 911 to report the accident. Request police officers and emergency medical services.
- Assess your injuries and your safety. If you cannot remain in your vehicle because it is dangerous, move carefully to a safe location. If your injuries prevent you from moving, notify the 911 operator or a bystander you need emergency assistance immediately.
- If possible, take a few pictures or make a video of the accident scene. A passenger or bystander might be able to do this for you if you are unable to do so because of your injuries.
- Ask eyewitnesses and bystanders to give you their names and contact information.
- Never apologize for an accident or say you think you could be partly responsible for the crash. When the police officer arrives, calmly tell the officer what you remember without admitting fault.
- Never state you are not injured. It is best to accept medical treatment at the accident scene. If you refuse medical transport to the emergency room or treatment at the accident scene, it is best to state you may be injured, and you intend to see your doctor as soon as possible.
- See a physician as quickly as possible after a car accident. Delays in medical care can significantly harm your personal injury claim.
- Document all conversations related to the accident or your injuries. Keep careful, detailed notes. It can help to begin a car accident journal to take notes about the accident, the insurance claim, and your daily pain and suffering.
- Avoid discussing the accident or your injuries with an insurance representative, online, or with any other party until you meet with a Tucson car accident lawyer.
- Contact our office immediately to schedule a free consultation with one of our car accident lawyers in Tucson, Arizona, to discuss your case and additional steps you should take to protect yourself and your legal rights.
Common Causes and Types of Tucson Car Accidents
Car accidents occur for a variety of reasons. Common reasons for car accidents in Tucson include:
- Distracted Driving
- Impaired Driving (i.e., drunk driving or drugged driving)
- Drowsy Driving
- Speeding and Reckless Driving
- Dangerous Road Condition (i.e., road debris, construction zones, defectively designed roads, improperly maintained roads, etc.)
- Poor Weather Conditions
- Defective Cars or Defective Car Parts
- Failing to Yield the Right of Way
- Following Too Closely for Conditions
- Impaired Driving Due to Age or Health Conditions
- Road Rage and Aggressive Driving
The cause of a car accident typically determines who is liable for the damages arising from the car crash. Our Tucson auto accident lawyers conduct comprehensive investigations to determine the cause of the accident and identify who is responsible for your injuries, losses, and damages.
Some of the more common types of car accidents that our law firm handles include:
- Rear-end Accidents
- Speeding Accidents
- Head-on Collisions
- Side-Impact Crashes (T-Bone Accidents)
- Rollover Accidents
- Commercial Truck Accidents
- Uber, Lyft, and Other Rideshare Accidents
- Accidents Involving Pedestrians and Bicyclists
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle collision, contact our office now to schedule a free case review with one of our experienced Tucson auto accident attorneys.
How Much is My Car Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your car accident claim depends on a variety of factors unique to your car accident case. Our legal team works with you to document your damages and losses to increase the chance you receive the most money for your personal injury claim. You can help by keeping records of all expenses and financial losses associated with the car wreck, your injuries, and your recovery.
What is the average settlement for a car accident?
Our Tucson car accident attorneys also work with financial and medical experts to ensure that we have all the information necessary to calculate future damages, in the event of permanent disabilities or impairments.
Factors that impact how much a car accident claim is worth include:
- Fault for the cause of the car accident. If you share fault for the cause of the crash, the amount you receive for your claim may be reduced because of Arizona’s comparative negligence
- The type of injuries sustained in the crash and the severity of those injuries. Permanent disabilities and impairments, life-threatening conditions, and catastrophic injuries (i.e., traumatic brain injury, paralysis, amputations, etc.) increase the value of a car accident claim.
- The insurance coverage available for your claim. If the other driver carries state minimum insurance requirements and you do not have sufficient underinsured insurance coverage, you could receive less for your injury claim. Our legal team thoroughly investigates each potential source of compensation to increase the chance you receive as much money as possible for your car crash claim.
- Financial damages and losses. The total amount of your medical bills, loss of income, and other financial losses can be included in your injury claim.
- Hiring experienced Tucson car accident attorneys. Insurance companies are aware of our reputation as strong advocates and skilled trial attorneys. They know that we do not shy away from pursuing a car accident claim by filing a personal injury lawsuit if necessary. Hiring an attorney with a winning reputation can increase the value of your claim.
There could be other factors that impact the value of your car accident claim. We can discuss those factors in more detail with you during your free consultation.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?
Even a minor car accident can result in serious injuries and significant financial damages. It cannot hurt to consult a car accident attorney after your collision and before providing statements to the insurance company regarding the accident or your injuries.
What Does a Car Accident Attorney do?
Tucson car accident attorneys handle all phases of your car accident claim. Your attorney:
- Evaluates your accident to determine if you have a claim;
- Investigates the accident to determine how the accident occurred;
- Identifies the parties or party responsible for causing the accident;
- Gathers evidence to prove fault;
- Assists in documenting damages and calculating how much a car accident claim is worth;
- Files the insurance claim and negotiates with the insurance company for a fair settlement;
- Works with medical experts, financial experts, and accident investigators, when necessary, to build a strong case for full compensation of all damages;
- Provides support, guidance, and legal counsel throughout your personal injury case; and,
- Prepares and files a car accident lawsuit, if necessary, to protect your best interests.
Those are just a few of the things that our Tucson auto accident attorneys do for our clients each day to protect their rights and to help hold the party responsible for the car crash accountable.
How Long Do You Have to Get a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
There is not a deadline for hiring a car accident lawyer in Tucson, AZ. However, there is a deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit related to a car accident. In most cases, accident victims have two years from the date of the car accident to file a car accident lawsuit. Failing to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires can result in the loss of your right to pursue a legal claim against the party who caused your injury.
However, the deadline to file a car accident claim may be much shorter, such as in cases involving government entities. You may have just a few months to file your claim to protect your right to file a lawsuit if the claim is not settled. Only a few limited situations could extend the deadline for filing a claim.
It is best to speak with our experienced car accident attorneys in Tucson, Arizona, as soon as possible to avoid losing your right to recover compensation for car accident injuries.
How Do You Prove Fault for a Car Accident in Arizona?
Proving fault for a car accident can be complex. If the cause of the accident is unknown, it can be impossible to know for sure who caused the crash. Our legal team utilizes a variety of tools and resources to investigate a car accident to determine fault.
Some of the resources and tools we use when investigating the cause of a crash include:
- Accident and police reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Physical evidence from the accident scene
- Photographs and videos of the accident scene
- Videos from traffic cameras and surveillance cameras
- Medical records
- Cell phone records
- Information obtained from a motor vehicle’s on-board recording devices
- Information from manufacturers and industry experts
- Expert opinions from accident reconstructionists
Our Tucson auto accident lawyers work closely with a highly-skilled, trained team of professionals to ensure your car accident is thoroughly and competently investigated.
Avoid Common Car Accident Mistakes by Hiring Experienced Tucson Car Accident Attorneys
Unfortunately, there are many mistakes a person can make if he or she attempts to handle a car accident claim without an attorney. Some of these mistakes can result in a denial of the injury claim or greatly reduced compensation for your injury claim.
Common mistakes made in car accident cases include:
- Failing to seek timely medical attention
- Not following a medical treatment plan
- Providing written or recorded statements to the insurance company without first hiring an attorney
- Signing a medical release authorization form for the insurance company
- Accepting the first settlement offer
- Undervaluing the injury claim
- Hiring an inexperienced lawyer, a high-volume law firm, or a lawyer who does not handle car accident cases
- Downplaying injuries
- Posting information on social media or discussing the case with friends and family members
- Not telling your attorney about pre-existing conditions and prior accidents
- Failing to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer
Hire an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney in Tucson, Arizona
Hollingsworth Kelly has been recognized as a Best Law Firm in U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers since 2012. Our lawyers are dedicated to helping car accident victims get the justice they deserve.
Our car accident attorneys have almost 50 years of experience litigating complex motor vehicle accident cases. In that time, our lawyers have won many jury verdicts and negotiated numerous personal injury settlements in excess of several million dollars for cases involving auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, bus accidents, bicycle accidents, tractor trailer and large truck accidents, and other motor vehicle collisions.
We Live and Drive in Tucson Too!
Attorneys Louis Hollingsworth, Michael F. Kelly and David D. Buechel are hometown attorneys from Tucson, Arizona. Our entire team understands the challenges of navigating traffic in and around Tucson.
Whether your car accident occurred on I-19 or I-10, or the accident occurred in traffic on Alvernon Way, Grant Road, 22nd Street, or Kolb Road, we understand your frustration and anxiety.
With more than a million residents living, working, and commuting in the Tucson metropolitan area, it’s no surprise that accidents happen frequently. Just over 6,000 traffic crashes were reported in Tucson last year. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, almost than half of those accidents resulted in injury to the involved parties; 67 of the crashes involved fatalities.
ADOT estimates that the total economic loss as a result of auto accidents in Pima County in 2017 was over $1.2 billion, inclusive of fatalities, injuries, and property damage. Car accidents have many causes, but by far the most common are error and negligence on the part of the driver responsible. This can include distracted driving (i.e. texting), speeding, running red lights, making illegal or improper turns, road rage, driving under the influence or when drowsy, and countless other risk factors that can lead to devastating accidents and serious personal injuries. Car accidents can also occur when there are product defects affecting an automobile’s brakes, air bags, steering, or other systems.
If you have been injured in a Tucson traffic accident, contact our office to schedule your free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney in Tucson by calling (520) 882-8080.
You may also contact us online or visit our office located at 3501 North Campbell, Suite 104, Tucson, Arizona 85719–2032.